The journey in creating a wedding show in 4 weeks...

I have not been sleeping much past 1 week, and one question keeps running in my mind : why Hannah, why... you have done everything, why are you not sleeping... maybe I am fighting against all the questionings fr within and with out...

Tomorrow's wedding show with Raffles Hotel is something very special to me. I could still remember clearly in my mind when I first had my discussion with Raffles in end Feb, they wanted me to be the partner as usual in past shows to support them like any typical wedding show. I think that lunch appt, I must have spoken much... I was raising the question : do we really need to do a wedding show? There are so many wedding shows in Singapore that basically sell wedding packages and booth spaces.. but I think Singapore needs a change... couples have become bored going to wedding show, shows have turned out to be perks and bargain exchange, and honestly deep in my heart, I really do not like booth spaces. I don't want to sell a product, I want to create an experience. I think this is what the couples need - to understand "Complete Wedding Experiences".

Wedding industry is a very special industry, and there are many passionate artists and designers. We are not selling products, we are actually selling ourselves. We sell what we believe, we sell who we are, we sell literally our dreams, our desires, to couples who truly appreciate what we do. At the end of the conversation, the director said : Hannah, let's do it. I was speechless and very touched, a hotel who believes in changing and dare to run the race with us. A change we believe not for immediate short term, but truly for a long term fruitfulness.

The next 4 weeks following were crazy, a part of me was running my events in Penang, the other part of me was gathering partners whom I really really want to work in the shortest time. To me, a show is a partnership, I didn't want to create events with people I am working for mere commercial reasons. Yes, I am a very sentimental lady, I believe in my partners, and it was a dream come true to work with people whom I have respected and grown to be friends for the last 8 years. And for Raffles Hotel, it was a hotel who has given me room to grow with them since I began my first wedding with them - and it was my best friend's wedding in 2005. A hotel who has given me room to create spaces and directions, a hotel who has allowed us in to lead and be included even in the aspect of educating their people. A hotel who truly treasures partnership. God, thank you for giving me the favour... it has to be you.

There are many questions that arise : it is such a rush, is it worth it? are you able to gather couples etc etc..?? Honestly, I do not know, because as I write this blog, those questions are very real. But I do know something, someone must begin a change, and it is time to believe for a change. Either we do it now, or we just dream on.

We wanted to create a show, where concepts are expressed, where artists get to say who they are thru their works. I have seen beautiful works from many of my photographers in the industry, but when people are comparing them with newbies, and packages, I sighed. Singapore is a very very competitive industry, you have photographers, florists, wedding planners birthing forth every day, all claiming they can do what they do. I hope everyone realises, good works take years and years to develop and sharpen.. success doesn't come overnight.

Once, someone made a sweeping statement to me : Wow, photographers earn so much, we might as well send our kids to study photography. I was stunned : An artist is likened to any professional, they are not second rated compared to doctors and lawyers, they take years to learn a skill, and they are not selling photos, they sell moments. Likewise, not everyone can arrange a good table centrepieces, because you give them flowers, and not every wedding planner can create a good wedding, just because you can do mood boards. This industry is not a hobby industry where one decides to turn a hobby and make some money out of it. Hello, is anyone listening...

People who do not know me will always say Hannah, you are gutsy... you speak your mind always. But those who know me well, will tell you : I speak what I believe and envision, and I defend for the people I believe in. I think a true artist needs to be tactful in her conduct, at the same time, an artist must continue to be bold to express his or her vision consistently without compromising.

So what will be the outcome of tomorrow's show? I anticipate as much as one awaits....
But one thing I am sure, it is an event where I will enjoy, because every player is a beloved friend.. and we will have fun creating together.

Comments

Popular Posts